Friday 31 May 2013

Portfolio Piece 5- Raskto Documentary

Available At: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb-OtTKA1u8

I am aware this piece takes me over the 40 minute mark so please view this as my last portfolio piece and only count the desired minutes to take my portfolio to the 40 minute cut off period.


I worked with Marina Ivanovic on the production and sound editing of her Documentary about Rastko Dance group. I helped her film some of the more recent footage of the dancers performance (Marina filmed the interviews), and this included recording a backup audio track on my Zoom H4N. I found this process a little challenging in itself; as there was only me to film it and monitor the sound at the same time. Unfortunately; both the backup track and the recorded camera audio, suffered from noise distortion. The lady in charge of music playback at the rehearsal often changed the volume in accordance to the song, but all were very loud and despite being quite far away from the playback speaker, both my camera and Zoom struggled and the distorted quite badly due to the volume. Because I was trying to film the dancing, this clipping was only noticed during the sound edit. The 'quieter' dances had recorded cleanly on both my camera and my Zoom when played back to check the quality. Over 30 minutes of footage had been recorded and we weren't able to sit and watch/listen through it all which was why this distortion went unnoticed until it was too late.

In all honesty, I found this piece particularly challenging, due to the quality of the video footage that the film is predominantly made up of. The editor; Marina, had been given permission by the Rastko dance teacher Nada, to compile very old footage and use it in her documentary. All of this footage was originally recorded to VHS and at some point transferred onto DVD, so the audio quality was horrendously bad. Marina had to copy the video onto her computer and edit it down into the core clips so there was a lot of miss matched music and audio quality. These clips were edited in two different editing programmes and later compiled onto one so I wasn't left with much room to edit the audio. An example of what complicated things quite majorly was the lack of 'handles' on the clips. This meant I could only work with the immediate audio that was there and not deviate from this where I have been able to on other projects. Being able to extend the audio clip either side would have allowed me to create some much cleaner fades. Another difficulty faced came about with the age of the footage, some contained an awful lot of 'noise' which was difficult to edit out. I EQ'd some of this and on some clips; was able to almost completely mute out the 'hissing', but it was replaced by a very high pitched sound instead. This wasn't as noticeable though so I felt it was better to use that instead of the original. Due to the version of my Pro Tools programme, I was unable to import the OMF I had created in Premiere, to try and allow me more editing options. I attempted to open it in Logic and even Sound Track Pro, but for some reason it kept displaying error messages. I was left with the only option of editing it all in Premiere Pro! This in itself was a challenge as the interface is poorly designed for audio editing. The fades were very specific and did not allow for much change in the way that Pro Tools would. I had hoped to create smooth transitional fades between each clip but it was difficult to do this as the programme is quite unresponsive where fades are concerned. The faders on the mixer did not respond as well as those on Pro Tools, and without a audio control interface like a Command 8 I had to make do with using a mouse. On the voice over, I tried to keep the volume levels equal, and EQ'd her voice so that it sounded less boxy. I also added a low level of reverb to give the audio some depth instead of it being completely flat (see fig 1)

Fig. 1



Marina had stated that she wanted the documentary to have a really retro vibe to match the footage, but working with the older footage with no audio handles really meant I was limited with what I could do and this would be the same for any sound designer who had worked on it unless they had access to higher version of pro tools. Overall Marina was happy with the piece. As a Sound Designer it was a big learning curve and I learnt that upgrading software; if an expensive outlay at the time, is always worth it, as it could affect your abilities at some point costing you a job. I also learnt that if the editor is using footage taken from a dvd and cropped down; where possible, ask them to 'over crop' so that there are some audio handles available. 


No comments:

Post a Comment