Friday 31 May 2013

Portfolio Piece 2- Mother, Father, Me

Available At: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI8Wbmr0tig

'Mother Father Me', was a short produced by Scriptwriter Jack Hayward as an entry for Sundance Film Festival UK. One of the reasons I was drawn to doing the sound for this piece, was because it had no speaking it in and I would be allowed to be quite creative. Jack's vision for the overall film was for it to be more artistic; poignantly standing out from the other entries, and making it less like a student production. Some of the other people involved were: Luke Weller as the video's Editor and Simon Allison as the Composer.

This piece was physically and mentally challenging for me for a few reasons. Firstly I was very ill with flu when I was given the piece. Secondly the deadline was extremely short. Normally I would like at least 4 days to work on a piece 5 minutes in length, but for this I only had 2 and a half days. I was unable to make much progress on the first afternoon due to having a bad migraine and sickness for most of the day, so did the planning of which Sound Effects I needed to record and then recorded the atmos. The day after this was spent recording foley solidly throughout the day, and then editing and mixing it in Pro Tools. By the deadline, I had managed to finish a piece of which all of the sound effects were made, edited and implemented by me. The only sound which was not mine was the Mother character's gasp at the end. For me this was a big personal achievement as I had never previously completed a video consisting entirely of my own foley and effects. It was also finished in such a short time; which in all honesty was enormously stressful but I was happy with the end result.

Mother Father Me had no spoken narrative; so the sound was a lot more important than it would have been had it had speech in it. I had been told to pay particular attention to the scene where there was to be no music. This was when the Father and the family were around a table whilst he rolled a cigarette out of a money note. When recording the effects, I tried to think in detail of all of the sounds that you possibly wouldn't notice but would be present, for example when he has rolled the cigarette, he puts it to his mouth to go and smoke it. I went as far as recording the small sound created when I put a 'foley' cigarette near to my mouth. This was because the scene was so gritty and naturalistic that any little sounds like that could be more noticeable and possibly uncomfortable to listen to; which was in keeping with the uncomfortably awkward nature of the scene.

Foley was sometimes a challenge to record, having not got access to a sound proof room at the time. I chose my bedroom as the most acoustically suitable room in my house. Unfortunately sounds that wouldn't normally interrupt my day to day life, suddenly became obvious I.e the consistent flurry of cars during the 'School Run' in the afternoon and recordings had to stop for this, central heating had to be turned off, any time anyone else was in the house they had to shut all the doors and not move around as my microphone was sensitive enough to pick up sounds my ears couldn't even hear! This has always been one of the downsides of not having regular access to a professional studio space.

The film is quite intense and the sound effects were meant to reflect that. One 'style' that was considered, was 'Null Extension'; which in film sound, relates to the viewing audience being able to hear the sounds that one character in particular hears (Pisters, 2003, p274). An example of this was in Saving Private Ryan; after an explosion, there was a loud ringing telling the audience they are hearing what the main character hears. I had learnt that Null Extension was only relative to one character but in a way, the scene in Mother Father Me around the table; with no music, is very close to it as you are so focused on what the Father is doing that its almost like you are hearing what one of the nervous characters is.


PISTERS, P. (2003) The Matrix of Visual Culture: Working With Deleuze in Film Theory. Stanford California. Stanford University Press. p274

No comments:

Post a Comment